The Washington County Historic Courthouse will be closed temporarily as it is being inspected following the discovery of a fractured truss in the building.
The courthouse, originally opened in 1870, is undergoing inspection in preparation for renovation. HGA, the Historic Courthouse design architects and engineers, were inspecting heavy timber trusses following the removal of the insulation in the attic of the courthouse. During observations, they discovered one of the main trusses appeared to be fractured. This truss is one of four primary roof supports, a critical element of the overall roof structure. With the damaged truss now ineffective, it is likely the remaining trusses are supporting more of the roof load than intended.
Out of an abundance of caution, HGA has recommended installing shoring as soon as possible and avoiding occupying the spaces directly below the courtroom on the second floor of the building until shoring is in place.
With this recommendation, and for the safety of customers, tenants, and staff, the courthouse will be closed until the area is secured. It is anticipated that the building will be closed for one to two months, depending on the availability of a contactor.