***Appointments are allowed for Passport transactions ONLY. We do not recognize appointments made for other transactions. If you make a passport appointment, and you want to conduct more than a passport transaction, you will be asked to wait in line for that other transaction. Passport agents cannot do any other transaction per federal law. Thank you for your understanding.

Passport services are available at the Cottage Grove Service Center, Forest Lake Service Center, Stillwater License Center and Woodbury Service Center
  **11.16.2021- Passport cameras at the Forest Lake location are temporarily down. If you would like to make a passport appointment at Forest Lake, you will need to bring in your own photos. All other locations are currently functioning and photos can be taken at Stillwater (limited), Woodbury and Cottage Grove. 

A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:

  • Passport Book - can be used for all air, land and sea travel. 
  • Passport Card - can be used to travel to or return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry. The Passport Card can also be used to board aircraft for domestic travel, but cannot be used for international air travel. 
To apply for a passport book or card, all applicants (including minors) must apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility. 

How to Obtain:
  • Complete the application for a U.S. passport (DS-11); a Social Security number is required for this form (including minors)
  • Submit proof of U.S. citizenship (one of the following)
    • Certified birth certificate (within the U.S. issued by a city, county or state of birth
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Present current primary identification 
    • Valid Minnesota Driver's License 
    • Voided Minnesota Driver's License with stamped renewal papers
    • Naturalization Certificates
    • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
    • Current Military ID (military and dependents), State Identification Card or Out-of-state Driver's License (with valid secondary identification)
  • Photo services are available at county service centers for an additional $15, or provide a passport photo that meets quality requirements.

Pay for a Passport Application


  • Determine the appropriate federal fees on the website (a separate check or money order per application payable to "U.S. Department of State" is required for the federal portion of the fees).
  • Acceptance Facility Execution Fee, photo fees and other related fees must be made by separate check payable to "Washington County" or cash. 

Passport Photographs

Passport photos are available at county service centers for an additional fee of $15 (cash or check). One 2-inch by 2-inch photograph, meeting a variety of specific requirements, is required to obtain a passport. 

Renew a Passport

The U.S Department of State Passport Services requires applicants to renew your passport by mail if it meets eligibility requirements. If your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, you cannot renew at county service centers. If your passport is not eligible for renewal by mail, follow the steps above. Your current passport can be used as proof of U.S citizenship as long as it is not damaged, altered or mutilated.