Tobacco, Alcohol, Cannabis/Marijuana, and Other Drugs
Age Verification Tools
- Tobacco It's the Law 2023 (PDF): Signage to help servers check birthdays on ID cards.
- Alcohol It's the Law 2023 (PDF): Signage to help servers check birthdays on ID cards
- Check the ID (PDF): A tool for reading MN drivers licenses, forms of ID and tips about the sale of tobacco.
- Digital Age Verification Calendar: A free resource for retailers to help determine if a customer is old enough to legally purchase tobacco products.
- ID Checking Guide enables servers to make accurate, on-the-spot verification of driver’s licenses and ID cards.
Cannabis is a plant that contains a chemical called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is what gives you a “high.” Cannabis can be smoked, vaped, or consumed as edibles. Edibles are products made with cannabis that you can eat or drink. Edibles often resemble food products such as cookies, chocolate, gummy candy, and beverages.
THC Overdose Symptoms and Response
There are many symptoms of THC overdose including excessive sleepiness, nausea/vomiting, rapid heart rate, and slurred speech. If you suspect a THC overdose or if a child has consumed a product with THC, contact Poison Control immediately.
MN Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
- Safer use of edible cannabis (PDF)
- Edible cannabis and youth factsheet (PDF)
- Preventing accidental poisoning of hemp-derived THC products (Minnesota Department of Health)
- Hemp-related/edible cannabinoid complaints (Minnesota Board of Pharmacy: Use the form on this page to file a complaint against a manufacturer, distributor, or retailer.
- SAMHSA Advisory: Cannabidiol (CBD) - Potential Harms, Side Effects, and Unknowns (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
Concerned About Substance Use?
If you are concerned about your own or someone else's alcohol or other drug use, please contact the Chemical Health Intake Line at 651-430-6561.
For additional information on assessments and resources in Washington County, visit Substance Use Disorder Services.
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in Washington County and in the nation. Preventing its use and exposure by adults and children is the only way to decrease the effects of smoking. Living Healthy Washington County supports tobacco-free policies that limit smoking, limit exposure of children to the harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke, and help decrease smoking rates through comprehensive cessation programs.
Alcohol Online Server Training
This training will benefit licensees by reducing the chances that incidents might result and liability lawsuits might occur. Also, many liquor liability insurance companies offer premium discounts to insured’s that have such training.
- Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association (MLBA) Training
- Serv Safe Alcohol Training (available in English and Spanish)
- TIPS Alcohol Training for on-premise, off-premise, casino gaming and concessions
- Suresellnow Alcohol Seller/Server Training for Woodbury
- Serving Alcohol Inc. - MN Alcohol Seller Server Course for on-premise and off-premise
Tobacco Online Training and Resources
It's important to train clerks on how to properly sell tobacco and tobacco-related products. This training is crucial in preventing underage youth from buying these products. By doing so, we can reduce tobacco use and ensure your business avoids any fines for violating the regulations.