Middle St Croix Valley Regional Trail Master Plan
Proposed Master Plan
A preferred route was identified through the master planning process. This route will set the vision for future design and implementation, likely to take place in phases over the next 20 years.
- Proposed Trail Alignment - Overview Map (PDF)
The full master plan document provides additional context on the planning process and recommendations
In 2022-23, Washington County is leading a master plan process for the Middle St Croix Valley Regional Trail - a document that will guide the future development of a multiuse trail that will run through eastern Washington County.
The future trail will feature vital connections to local trails, parks, schools, and businesses in the St. Croix River Valley.
Master Plan Process
Master plans are a product of collaboration with the community and agency stakeholders that delivers a comprehensive vision for the development of a future trail.
The regional trail master plan will provide the planning and implementation guidance for the future trail route alignment, right-of-way needs, trail amenities, natural resource management, and maintenance objectives.
Safety, Accessibility, and Comfort
Create a safe and comfortable recreational trail experience serving all ages and abilities.
Prioritize facility alignment and design that is inclusive of historically underrepresented populations.
Create regional connectivity and support local connections highlighting unique destinations of adjacent communities.
Prioritize implementation in identifying trail alignment and design.
Protect and enhance the natural resources along the trail corridor and foster stewardship of the river valley.
Washington County is leading a process to engage stakeholders and the public throughout 2022-23. The input received will inform the future improvements proposed in the master plan.
Community members are welcomed and encouraged to share feedback throughout the master planning process by attending one of our engagement opportunities or by emailing Connor Schaefer.
Additional public engagement opportunities will be posted on this project webpage as they are scheduled.
Past engagement events attended by project team
- 6/9 & 6/15 - Learn to Ride Event
- 6/29 - Elected Official Engagement
- 7/14 - Lumberjack Days Kickoff Community Ice Cream Social at the Washington County Historic Courthouse
- 7/27 - Pop-up event at Selma's Ice Cream Parlor
- 8/2 - Heritage Day at Lake St Croix Beach
- 8/3 - Washington County Fair
- 9/14 - Open House at Afton-Lakeland Elementary School
- 10/3 - Bayport Farmer's Market
- 10/6 - She Ascends Hiking Group
- 4/13/23 - Open House
Input received at various engagement opportunities has informed project goals and the plan recommendations. Findings included:
- Highlight local parks and destinations
- Make connections between communities
- Explore “loop” opportunities
- Provide views to river, where feasible
- Foster stewardship of area natural resources
- Wide trail to accommodate range of users
- Clear wayfinding, high quality/more frequent amenities