First Time Minnesota Registration

The information on this page is intended for people who need to transfer their registration from another state to Minnesota. Learn what to do if you have purchased a vehicle with an out-of-state title

If you have moved from another state to Minnesota, you have 60 days from the day you become a resident of the state to transfer your registration. Plates and stickers are obtained immediately from any License Center Location. 

Transferring a registration 
To transfer a registration to Minnesota requires the vehicle title (if your title is with a lien holder or has been lost, your most recent registration card is sufficient). If there are multiple owners listed on the title, only one need be present. If the vehicle is leased, a power-of-attorney form from the leasing company listed on the registration card authorizing the lessee to sign on their behalf is required.  

Every owner applying for a self-propelled motor vehicle or motorcycle/moped registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership must provide proof of insurance. Required insurance information includes the insurance company's name, the policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

Application for Minnesota title/registration 
Complete an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle. This form will accompany the title or registration card and will allow the State of Minnesota to transfer the title and registration of the vehicle to Minnesota. View this Application Guide

Prices of taxes, fees
Due to the wide variety of transfer types and situations, we cannot offer pricing online or over the phone. The only way to obtain an accurate price estimate is to present the title and all necessary documents to a License Center representative.