Educational Neglect Diversion Services

For students aged 11 and younger, the primary responsibility for ensuring attendance lies with the parent(s)/guardian(s).

Educational neglect diversion services provide families with the needed support to make necessary changes to improve a child's academic success.

When a child's education is impacted by attendance concerns, the school has the discretion to make a referral. In response, a county school attendance social worker will coordinate a meeting involving the parent(s)/guardian(s) and the school.

The goal of this meeting is to create a support plan where the parent(s)/guardian(s) agree to addressing issues affecting their child's school attendance and ensuring regular attendance for the remainder of the school year. 

Attendance will be monitored and resources and supports offered for the remainder of the school year.

If students continue to miss school without a valid excuse, Child Protection may be notified for further assessment.

Submit a referral form.

In order to be accepted, all referrals must be completed in full. Click to complete the Truancy/Educational Neglect Referral Form Opens in new window

Referrals will be accepted until April 19, 2024.

  1. Child Protection Intervention

If the parent(s)/guardian(s) fail to compel their child's school attendance, any or all of the following consequences may happen:

  • A child maltreatment report can be made alleging that the child is being educationally neglected. The family will then be the subject of a child protective services investigation. If it is determined that educational neglect has occurred, there could be further legal proceedings. A case file will be maintained for 10 years.
  • A Child in Need of Protection or Services Petition (CHIPS) can be filed in court. You will be summoned to appear before a judge regarding the educational neglect concerns.
  • The court can place the child under protective supervision of Social Services and the parent(s)/guardian(s) will be required to comply with a case plan to correct the conditions resulting in court action.
  • A child can be removed from their parents'/guardians' care/custody and placed outside the home in relative or foster care. Moreover, the parent(s)/guardian(s) are required to pay for the cost of care based on ability to do so, as determined by Washington County.
  • If the child is in need of special care or treatment, the court may order that it is provided. If the parent(s)/guardian(s) are unable or unwilling to do so, the court may order that it be provided.
  1. Frequently Asked Questions