Applying for a Health Care Program

Getting an application
There are many ways to get applications for public assistance.


 If you are:

  • 65 years of age or older
  • receiving Medicare coverage
  • a child in foster care
  • receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • applying for Medical Assistance for Employed Person with Disabilities (MA-EPD)

You can download the Application for Certain Populations-DHS-3876 (PDF).

If you are:

  • a person who lives in or may need to move to a nursing home
  • a person with a disability or age 65 or older who would like services to help you stay in your home

You can download the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Payment of Long-Term Care Services-DHS-3531 (PDF).

MNSure Logo Opens in new windowIf you are not described above, you can apply for health care coverage through MNsure. MNsure is a central marketplace where Minnesota individuals, families, and small employers can get quality, affordable health insurance and access tax credits or assistance to help pay for coverage. MNsure has an easy-to-use website where you can search and compare plans, a hotline you can call to talk with someone about your options, and places where you can sign up in your community. Use the online application at MNsure or download the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs-DHS-6696 (PDF).

Applying for health care through MNsure is the fastest way to obtain coverage and if you are eligible for public assistance health coverage, such as medical assistance, MNsure may be able to provide an immediate online eligibility determination.

The Affordable Care Act requires states to provide help to individuals who are trying to determine their health insurance options. Assistance is available through navigators, in-person assisters, and brokers. Navigators and in-person assisters can answer questions about any of the financial assistance programs (Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare, and Advanced Premium Tax Credits) and assist anyone who needs help with getting through the application process (MNsure or the paper application). A statewide directory of navigators, in-person assisters, and brokers can be found on the MNsure site under the Assisters tab.

There is no charge to use a navigator, in-person assister, or broker. If you use the Bridge to Benefits screening tool, the name and contact information for a navigator/in-person assister in your county will be provided if you select "One-on-One Assistance" as your "How to Apply" option.

Some of the reported navigators for our county are:

By phone

You can request a paper application by calling 651-430-6459. When you call for an application, you will need to give the following information:

  • your name
  • full postal address and zip code
  • phone number (where you can be reached in case we have questions)
  • the type of assistance you are requesting
  • whether you are single or have children under age 21 living with you

In person

You can pick up a paper application at each of these locations within the county:

Community Services - 2nd floor

14949 62nd Street North

Stillwater, MN 55082

Community Services

13000 Ravine Parkway South

Cottage Grove, MN 55016

Community Services

19955 Forest Road North

Forest Lake, MN 55025

2150 Radio Drive

Woodbury, MN 55125

Submitting a paper application

You can mail or drop off your application at any of our four service center locations listed above. Your application will be assigned to a financial worker right away. Please answer all questions on the application.

Information you need to provide

In addition to the application form, you will be required to provide verification of:

  • identity
  • age
  • citizenship
  • residence
  • property
  • income
  • and more

A list of acceptable verification is available below: