Community Development Block Grant
The Washington County Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Citizen Advisory Committee is established to provide public input to and increase the accountability of the CDBG and HOME programs in Washington County.
The purpose of the CDBG program is to develop strong urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
The CDBG Citizen Advisory Committee consists of 11 voting members appointed by the Board of Commissioners and two ex-officio members:
- five citizen members (one from each Commissioner District);
- one member from the Washington County Community Social Services Advisory Committee;
- one member from a nonprofit organization serving low- and moderate-income residents, persons with disabilities, or mentally-ill persons;
- three members from the private sector;
- one member from the Washington County Housing and Redevelopment Authority Board of Commissioners - Public Assistance Housing representative;
- two ex-officio members, the Washington County Housing coordinator and the Washington County Community Services Department director;
- all members must reside in Washington County or represent organizations or businesses serving residents of Washington County.
Preference is given to persons with the needs of, and issues facing, low- and moderate-income persons.
Committee members are appointed by the County Board of Commissioners for staggered three-year terms. The County Board may, at its discretion, replace committee members when, in the opinion of the board, it is in the best interests of the county.
Election of officers
A chair and vice chair are elected annually with elections occurring at a regularly scheduled meeting during the first quarter of the calendar year.
Procedure for appointment
Applicants must complete the required application for appointment to this committee and submit any background information requested.
Meetings are held at least four times annually and more frequently if deemed necessary by the committee. Meetings are at the Washington County Government Center in Stillwater.
The responsibilities of the CDBG Citizen Advisory Committee are to:
- provide input on the needs of low- and moderate-income residents of Washington County;
- provide input on Washington County housing and community development needs;
- establish priorities relating to these needs;
- review proposals for allocating the CDBG funds and make recommendations to the County Board;
- review the Annual Action Plan and Five-Year Consolidated Plan and make recommendations to the County Board;
- review the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report;
- revise, as necessary, the Citizen Participation Plan to provide for and encourage public participation in the Community Development Block Grant process; and
- make recommendations to the County Board are nonbinding but are given full consideration by the County Board.
Members of the Community Development Block Grant Citizen Advisory Committee receive meeting per diem and mileage reimbursement at the rate established by the County Board.
This citizens advisory committee operates in accordance with the operating procedures established by the county.