Parents Who Receive Child Support

During these hard economic times, you or the noncustodial parent on your case may have been recently laid off. If the other parent was laid off they may not be able to meet their child support obligation. Below is a list of some commonly asked questions you may have regarding your situation.

If I have been laid off will the amount of child support owed to me increase?

Your child support order does not automatically increase when your source of income ends. If you think you will be unemployed for a long period of time, you may wish to change your child support order

It takes a new court order to change the amount of child support you receive.

Does the noncustodial parent still have to pay support if they no longer have a job?

The child support amount does not automatically stop when the source of the noncustodial parent’s income ends. They must take steps to change their child support order if they wish to reduce the charging amount. It takes a new court order to change the amount of child support they are required to pay.

What are the potential consequences for the noncustodial parent not paying their child support?

The child support office has many enforcement remedies available to collect support and enforce a child support order.

Will the noncustodial parent still owe back payments?

A change to a court order is effective from the date someone files the legal paperwork with the court to modify child support. If the other parent owes past support for periods prior to a modification, that past support remains owed.

Retroactive adjustments to child support cannot be made unless both parents agree. If the other parent is laid off and does not change their child support order, they will accrue child support arrearages that remain owed. The child support office will use the remedies available to collect child support arrearages.

What if the noncustodial parent starts receiving unemployment benefits or worker’s compensation?

Child support is deducted from these types of income. You may not receive the full amount you are owed each month due to the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Other Resource Options

Here are some other resources you may qualify for:

Contact the Economic Assistance Unit in the county you reside to find out more about programs you might qualify for. More information is also available through the Minnesota Department of Human Services.

Families of Veterans

Information for Veterans and Veterans’ families: